Houghton and Sunderland South MP, Bridget Phillipson has urged local people to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
New research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign shows that 68% of households in the North East could be at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.
Carbon Monoxide - known as the silent killer - is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm. It is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as gas boilers, cookers or fires, are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
Bridget Phillipson is supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer. You can find out more about the campaign here.
“Too many people are dying or suffering severely from Carbon Monoxide poisoning, and we need to take action.
"I urge my constituents to make sure that they have an audible alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.”
“The Tory-led government should be looking into making it a requirement for all new homes to be fitted with an alarm and also for landlords to be encouraged to provide an alarm in their properties.”