On Friday 16 December, Bridget Phillipson MP visited the Houghton le Spring Delivery Office to see first-hand the operation of delivering Christmas post and to pass on season’s greetings to its hardworking staff.
Ms Phillipson was shown around the office by Delivery Manager Gerard Gilroy and introduced local posties Jason Carr and Stephen Outhwaite, two of the many postmen and women who are pulling out all the stops to sort and deliver mail in the Houghton and Sunderland South area over the Christmas period.
The Festive Season is Royal Mail’s busiest period, as millions of people shop online for gifts and send Christmas cards and parcels.
As Royal Mail’s 500th anniversary draws to a close, this Christmas provides an opportunity to reflect on the centuries of hard work delivering to every single address in the UK.
Speaking after the visit, Bridget Phillipson MP said:
“I was delighted to show my support for our local postmen and women and to extend my thanks for all their hard work throughout the year.
“They go to great lengths to make sure that Christmas cards and presents are delivered on time and their dedication couldn’t be clearer.”
Gerard Gilroy, Royal Mail Delivery Office Manager, said:
“It was a pleasure to show Ms Phillipson our Christmas operation and to hear her kind words of encouragement and support.
“We are extremely proud of our postmen and women for all their hard work during the Festive Season and for continuing our proud history of delivering Christmas mail.”
The last recommend posting dates for Christmas are:
Second Class -; Tuesday 20 December 2016
First Class -; Wednesday 21 December 2016
Special Delivery -; Thursday 22 December 2016
Customers can also help Royal Mail ensure that all their letters, cards and parcels are delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible by taking a few easy steps:
- Post early -; Avoid disappointment by posting your cards and parcels early.
- Use a postcode -; A clearly addressed card or parcel, with a postcode, and return address on the back of the envelope, will ensure quick and efficient delivery.
- Use Special Delivery -; For valuable and important packages and parcels guarantee delivery with Royal Mail’s Special Delivery, which means your gift is tracked, traced and insured against loss.
- Wrap parcels well and always give a return address
- For more information about Royal Mail’s last recommended posting dates, please visit: www.royalmail.com/greetings or call 03457 740 740.